Skip to main content

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ReflectioN

209 replies [Last post]
TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

Wow that is a lot of negative I'm sensing from you. But it is understandable and.... oh yeah you did say that Vivid strike was oh God. Well I'm going to savor this good news while I can because by the time this movie is over we're back to having more new characters more pointless scenarios and my personal favorite a whole lot more boring.....Sansker I think your negative energy is rubbing off on me.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3737

More info from Tsuzuki interview:

  1. They take out the "Movie 3rd" title of this movie because he don't want us getting confuse about this movie was just another remake (For example: StrikerS).
  2. Tzusuki didn't make a StrikerS remake movie because the main character of StrikerS is Subaru and Teana not Nanoha and Fate.
  3. The reason why this movie taking 3 years long to make it because the director and characters designer of previous movies (1st and 2nd A's), Keizou Kusakawa and Yasuhiro Okuda are too busy to did their work in other anime and movies, 7Arcs keep waiting in these 3 years and they still can't join the staff, so 7Arcs find Takayuki Hamana and Kana Hashidate instead. In other work mean, 7Arcs DIDN'T do anythings since the movie was announced back in 2013.
  4. The movie is take place 3 months after the ending of 2nd A's, during the holiday in summer 0067 Nanoha was thinking about her future, Fate is planning her future and her family, they and Hayate, Arisa and Susuka are discuss plans for summer vacation.
  5. Amitie will be teamed with Nanoha and Fate and Kyrie will be a villain in this movie, the villains (Not the final boss) is a robot/android/cyborg which is look like the Florian sisters, have a human-like robot and it also have a large size robot.
  6. This story will add a new female character, she will appear in the beginning of this movie and she will take the most important role and character in this movie and 4th movie.
  7. The reason why they changed the art style of this movie look different to the previous movie because they want to try a new stuff instead of keep using the old art and design. They also hope the both old Nanoha fans and new fans especially the female fans can love the new art style and design of this movie.

Kufokator's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2016
Posts: 16

Alright cool, I appreciate that Tsuzuki decided to specify that this isn't going to be another remake movie and that Nanoha and Fate are the main characters. I'm just glad that, even though it took us three years to get an update for these movies, we at the very least are getting them (although if the 4th Evangelion movie took about the same amount of time to get done I guess we shouldn't have worried to much).

Admittedly I'm a little worried about the idea of a new female character being the most important part of these movies (please, please don't be another Fuka) but I liked Rinne in Vivid Strike. If the series can make this new character enjoyable I won't complain to hard.

Also I like the fact the 7arcs wants to try new stuff with the character designs. I really liked Fate's design already so I'm happy about that. I especially like the note that they wanted to make designs to appeal towards more female fans, considering how fetishy some of the outfits and designs series like Vivid had been I'm okay if they've decided to tone that shit down.

Also I had to kinda laugh at the note that Nanoha and Fate are planning they're futures and Fate is planning her family's future, with each other? (Wink, wink).

Anyway that's all for now, on to the next morsel of information!

Seikou's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/18/2010
Posts: 663

A. wrote:
[*]This story will add a new female character, she will appear in the beginning of this movie and she will take the most important role and character in this movie and 4th movie.

You know, this worries me..

It makes me seriously question -how- this character will be handled, I'd be fine with it if she were handled in the same way as say, Senna, in the first Bleach movie, playing a critical role, yet not usurping Ichigo's spot as the main character.

But.. frankly, looking at Vivid.. at Force.. the Vivid anime and Vivid Strike.. oh god.. I'm not very confident in that particular point..

Also, I find it highly hilarious how apparently Subaru and Teana were the intended main characters of StrikerS? I have a hard time believing that, with how all over the place the damn thing was, don't get me wrong, as characters I love especially the Nakajima sisters, Subaru and Ginga, but StrikerS did not come over as a series that knew who it wanted to be it's main cast.

In every way StrikerS made me feel Nanoha, Fate and Hayate were the still the big shots.

Toumeikage's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/26/2013
Posts: 31

Deep down, I always knew that Tsuzuki would never make Nanoha the most important "main focus character," after all "The left hand is only there for support."

Summer and Hayate in the same sentence...will the movie become an extended beach episode?

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

The left hand is there for support wow. That sounds perverted but I think it must be true I mean Nanoha isn't a Shonen protagonist so what else is left for her? I seriously hope it isn't an extended Beach episode because if so there will be so many questions in my brain.

Killuan's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2009
Posts: 364

A beach episode with NanoFate is already far better than Nanoha Vivid and Vivid Strike. "Look at how much you've grown, Fate-chan"

Sansker's picture
Online
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1035

Yes, I hope new fans and old fans can enjoy watching a Nanoha movie that somehow manages to be about someone none of those groups ever hear about.

Why can’t they make Nanoha the main character? Is not that hard and I would assume she is she reason we keep returning to this thing. But no, we need more character for marketing: The machine demands it!

I do agree with Sei there. Just make StrikerS and remove the Forwards, you will barely notice the difference. Also I am surprise, since ViVid is so popular and the Numbers are introduce in that thing but I guess it would need to make people aware of the horrible things the Numbers did to Vivio and that nobody ever brings up because it would make conversations awkward.

“Hey Nove, remember the good old days? When you and those two sisters of yours that always call me ‘Majesty’ kidnapped me, torture me and then brainwash me forcing me to fight my dear mother with my bare hands while I was powerless to stop myself? Good times…”

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

Strikers without the four characters I think I'm down with that. And wait vivid is popular....... I'm sorry but why oh wait I know why. Hey you make more slice of life hey you make it even more uncomfortable hey you let's keep adding it all these new characters, tossing all the other old characters away once again and my favorite part add a whole lot of pointless talking. Now I understand that people like vivid but there's nothing there and I mean nothing. Oh sure there is some characters that are interesting but they should have been in something more worthwhile than this. Not to mention it does make sense as to why nobody mentions all the horrible things that the cyborg did in season 3 because even they know that if they mention anything interesting then we actually have a story instead of the Misadventures of Vivio and her friends. But yeah keep pumping up that market guys even though we don't really have a real product to sell unlike yugioh or Dragon Ball Z or cardfight Vanguard or you know any other card bottle anime or Shonen anime.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

Sansker wrote:
Yes, I hope new fans and old fans can enjoy watching a Nanoha movie that somehow manages to be about someone none of those groups ever hear about.

Why can’t they make Nanoha the main character? Is not that hard and I would assume she is she reason we keep returning to this thing. But no, we need more character for marketing: The machine demands it!


They have been trying to remove Nanoha and step away from the main cast for a while for two simple reasons. First is that frankly the main cast has gotten waaaaayyy too big and ungainly, and given their power levels it's kind of hard to come up with credible opponents for them while not going with shonen tropes of introducing escalating levels of bullshit OP opponents. Also 7arts and unfortunately Japanese public do love their stupid slice of life fanservicey shows.
The second and even more important reason IMO is that Nanoha's voice actress is no longer easily available, making negotiating her appearance in future shows a tricky thing. They don't want their entire Franchise to hang on a single voice actress, despite her being the voice of the protagonist.
So the sidelining of Nanoha is kind of expected. And I would not mind it much if they have been able to set up The Next Generation so to speak, through a time skip or something. But they have kind of utterly failed there. Vivio is kind of bland, a Nanoha without her strength, although a lot of that is because she is stuck in a tournament show where she can show of her moves once in a blue moon. And Touma, while I don't mind that he is a guy, he is frankly pathetic.
As for the rest the only ones that I personally would not mind seeing more are Subaru and Teana. I like them despite those two trankly being a pile of tropes. I like the Teana's weak but skilled trait, with Subaru being her muscle. The only other new characters that were shown to be even remotely interesting are the seniors from Vivid, because they at least have established group dynamics you can spin any conversation about. Hary would want to punch the problem, Vicoria will try to order the problem away, Sig will try hard NOT to kill the problem while Els is the comic relief. But none except maybe Teana are the protagonist material.

Sansker wrote:
I do agree with Sei there. Just make StrikerS and remove the Forwards, you will barely notice the difference.

I wouldn't cut Subaru and Teana, but as far as I'm concerned Erio, Caro and Lutecia can be deleted completely or sidelined for all I care. While I liked Zest's thing with Regius, that fleshed Regius a bit, that also can be freely cut too. The Lightning Forwards always felt like an afterthought. They wanted to give Fate something since Nanoha was getting Teana and Subaru AND they needed their damn lolis. Also unfortunately you can not cut Lutecia since again unfortunately she is kind of one of the more important supporting characters there.

As for the Numbers thy would need to be pruned too but that can not be easily done since they are again major part of Vivid, so anyone going from Movie StrikerS to Vivid will need to have met the reformed ones at least. But the speaking parts should probably be limited to the likes of Nove (major character in Vivid), Cinque and maybe Dieci so they can try to make Numbers more sympathetic through her not agreeing with what her father is doing.

But even with maximum pruning I don't think it will be possible to compress the StrikerS into one movie and give Hayate, Nanoha, Fate and Teana their time in the limelight. AND do one fight with only the drones, the White Devil Incident, the assault at the HQ and separate fight sequences for all five of main characters.

Sansker wrote:
Also I am surprise, since ViVid is so popular and the Numbers are introduce in that thing but I guess it would need to make people aware of the horrible things the Numbers did to Vivio and that nobody ever brings up because it would make conversations awkward.

“Hey Nove, remember the good old days? When you and those two sisters of yours that always call me ‘Majesty’ kidnapped me, torture me and then brainwash me forcing me to fight my dear mother with my bare hands while I was powerless to stop myself? Good times…”


Oh that is certanly the major thing I did not like about the ending of the StrikerS and the Vivid.

At the end of the StrikerS Ginga wen't too easily from being torn apart and brainwashed to being best buddies with the Numbers. Now this outcome is not impossible. She could have started at first because she recognised that they ARE also victims and also this offered her a way to face her nightmares of being scraped by them. Then over time she could come to like them resulting in the adoption into the Nakajima clan. But the way they handled is was WAAAAAAYYYYY too quick.

Same goes with Vivio and Numbers in the Vivid. Now it is not impossible for her to become buddy buddy with them, since she is a kid and for kids couple of years might as well be an eternity so time heals wounds MUCH more quickly. Plus the Numbers might have gone with the route of spoiling her to atone for what they did.
But none of that was commented on, so as you say we have scenes where you just expect the following to happen:
Otto: Oh Heka it's you. Nice that you came to visit your friend Ix while she is sleeping like that time we wisited your home while you were sleeping and tore Zaffy and your friends to shreds to kidnap you. Where LuLu personally dragged you out of the burning ruins of your home.

Dieci: Vivio nice to hee you here. Subaru is not home, but do you want some icecream. Do lay down a bit while I get it. Hey does this couch remind you of that fun time when I was there to hold you in place and strap you down to my Daddy's operating table so he could perform a gruesome oepration on you that robbed you of your mind while he laughed maniacally all the time? Also I totally redeemied myself there by asking if this was right and then leaving you there to suffer. Fun times for all.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3737

A couple of promotional pictures of Nanoha Reflection and the covers of the Sound Stage for this movie are posted here:
http://www.nanoha-vividstrike.com/

It looks like Fuuka and Rinne will be part of this sound stage which will be sold at the next comiket, I think. I assume it will be similar to the previous Movie Sound Stages where the characters met in groups and talk about things regarding the movie and the process of filming it in their world.

EDIT:
New info from /u/:

Quote:
So the main content of the drama CDs is Reflection Nanoha and co. enjoying their summer holiday before the movie event happens. For bonus tracks, first CD has Reflection Nanoha's character song, adult Nanoha enjoying her day-off with Nakajima gym. Second CD has Reflection Fate's character song, adult Fate enjoying her day off with Rinne and the U-19 gang.

So it seems most of the tracks this time are set in the movieverse, except for the bonus tracks.

Toumeikage's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/26/2013
Posts: 31

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that Nanoha with the Strike Cannon in the second promo...? (Might this hint that Caledfwlch Techniques is sponsoring in-story production of the third film?)

Moreover a Nanoha promo that features Nanoha and Hayate exclusively...thank you world...

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3737

Toumeikage wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that Nanoha with the Strike Cannon in the second promo...?

Their devices looks similar to the Force designs, but I think they're just taking those designs as reference.

Toumeikage wrote:
Moreover a Nanoha promo that features Nanoha and Hayate exclusively...thank you world...

I think it's likely that Nanoha, Fate and Hayate will share many tracks in the drama CDs, they sometimes split Nanoha and Fate in the images of the disks when it's not only one, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a complete disk will be about Nanoha and Hayate, and the other about Fate, Arisa and Suzuka.

Toumeikage's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/26/2013
Posts: 31

Thanks for clarifying~ Haha I admit I got carried away since Hayate, Arisa, and Suzuka getting any form of screen time at all makes me happy. So while it might not be so, I'll still be hoping for some nice interactions between everyone.

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

I hope so too since you know this will be the last time we'll see any one of these characters.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

A. wrote:
Their devices looks similar to the Force designs, but I think they're just taking those designs as reference.

The Florian's sister's daddy was a Super Science type of "scientist" right? So given that and the greater focus on robots and mecha it would not be surprising if the girls get "upgraded" half way through the movie with for all intents and purposes copies of their arms from Force.

I do wonder how will they try to justify that in the commentaries. ;)

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

A. wrote:
adult Fate enjoying her day off with Rinne and the U-19 gang.

If it was likely any more that the Franchise will continue Rinne spending time with Fate could be a good thing for Rinne, since Fate has experience with rehabilitating broken kids. But as it is...

Sansker's picture
Online
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1035

So...

Why is Nanoha with the Nakajima Gym people? I thought she could not care less about what Vivio did. I mean she got her leg broken and Nanoha didn't even send a text message.

Why is Fate spending time with Rinne and the U-19 people if she never even talk to them in like... ever? I do assume she doesn't care about what Vivio does either but at least send her off with someone she has talk to.

Why is Rinne with the U-19 gang and Fate if she is Fuuka's best friend? Alright, she is from another gym but at this point that is as relevant as having different hair colors.

I am not one to harp too much in to the negatives but... look what I have to work with?

Oh well, the movie still looks kind of cool so there is hopping.

And while I am dreaming might as well see if Santa is around

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3737

Maybe it was with the intention of making more interesting groups, or splitting the couples between the two disks.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

The main reason is probably that too big groups don't really work in audio form. If the group is too big a lot of the characters don't get their time to speak. Also they tend to reuse voiceactresses a lot don't they.

Rine/Fate and Nanoha/Fuka split makes sense if you remember that they "tries" to set up Fuka vs Rinne as a repeat of Nanoha vs Fate. So if they want Nanoha to be with Fuka it makes sense to bundle Nakajimas with them. So Fate and Rinne in one group is obvious and the U-18 elites probably got added as an afterthought.

Also it puts bright and cheerfull into one group and woobies into another.

Sansker's picture
Online
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1035

That's probably it. Still a bit silly when you think about it... but then again what isn't?

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

Well they could have done worse/better and paired Rinne with Yigamis?

Sansker's picture
Online
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1035

Makes as much sense to put them there. I am just saying... Fate and Nanoha weren't even in Strike!

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

Well Nanoha and Fate were inevitable because this is essentially the promotional material for their movie (I think I do spy Hayate in the Fate/Rinne/U-18 crowd) and the main event are the sound stages set after the end of As but before Reflection.

The short part with Strike crowd is a bonus to try to popularize Strike. Similar to Thoma and Lilly and Vivid crew appearing in manga promotional material for Movie 2nd.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3737

We have release date: 2017-07-22
Nanoha.com just got updated with that information and the high resolution version of the designs for Nanoha and Fate's new barrier jackets.

Also a trailer is being shown at comiket right now, there is a low resolution version at the moment here: https://twitter.com/nanoha091/status/814302567962267648

I don't know if this is a new story with the Florian sister in it, or if it's based on the PSP games, it would be nice if someone that played the games can confirm.
I'm not very familiar with the plot of the games, I think that and the novel are the only parts of the series I don't know much about.

Toumeikage's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/26/2013
Posts: 31

From what I understand, having played the PSP games, the story itself is "new" what with Hayate jogging, Rein taking the place of Eins, and the Strike Cannon being invented a decade early...likely to compensate for the lack of Eins, but the events leading up to it all seem to take inspiration from certain events in the games [PSP Spoilers?] i.e. Prof. Grantz's deteriorating health leading to Kyrie falling out/betraying Amitie is the exact same event that jump started the plot of Gears of Destiny, and the first frames of their family together, minus the mother, are nearly identical to the opening CGs of the game. I'd say based off this, we can safely conclude that Kyrie and Amite's motives are identical to those of the game.

The REALLY trippy part imo is the fact that the music throughout the entirety of the trailer is the original Silent Bible, which was the OP of the first game...

This part is raw speculation, but seeing as how not a single frame of the Aces' opponents were shown and how the main bosses of Battle of Aces were the Materials, they might be trying to retcon/compress both games into happening simultaneously with a third of the game's roster, so instead of Kyrie going to Earth looking for Material-D, but being a game too late, she goes to Earth and triggers the Materials into waking. And instead of messing up and getting U-D, Material-D finally gets the giant super robot of her dreams...okay this last one is less likely.

If they are by chance melding the game continuities though, I don't really see where the unknown "new character" would come into play.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

As of now with the Aces + the two Kyrie sisters + the Wolkenritter + Suzuka and Arisa they are now at the number of characters that in my opinion is totering on the brink of being too much to handle. While they would be fun, adding the Materials to the mix might tip it over and previous expirience has shown that 7Arcs is not great at handling large casts. Oh and Rein Zwei is there too.

So my thinking is that the plot is that Kyrie is on Earth to get some thingimajig to help heal/revive her father/planet (or whatever the original problem in PSP game was) and the plot will be trying to smack some sense into Kyrie and find a better solution to the situation than the one Kyrie plans to use.
They have mentioned that a lot of fighting will be against mecha and robots right. So that is likely her army or something. And strike cannon might be necessary to fight them.

But now that I think about it she would need some lieutenants simply to prevent the Aces + The Wolkenritter from dog piling on her.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3737

Thanks for the info! I guess we'll have to wait and see, I hope we get the high quality version of the trailer/commercial soon.

Memor-X's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/05/2014
Posts: 146

if i recall the 3rd movie is only Part 1 of 2 so it's entirely possible that this is just a lead up to the Material Girls showing up, after all there's only going to be about 2 hours of footage. ofcause there is also the possibility that this movie is a lead up to the reason why the TSAB are reviewing the Jewel Seed and Book of Darkness Incidents (from my understanding the first 2 movies were TSAB Reports on those incidents)

as for the new character, maybe it's the sister's mother? i haven't played the game but from my understanding from reading the Wikia their mother was never shown in the games. maybe she's going to do a Precia and use some Lost Logia for Prof. Grantz

[INSERT WEBSITE BANNER]

Sansker's picture
Online
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1035

Well looks interesting so far I should say.

As for the plowt... if they are going to recycle the PSP games maybe they could make Kyrie going to look for the Book of Darkness instead of Material-D. The movies roster seems full already so trying to add to it could cause the story to become chaotic.

I do hope they don't use the Materials, as much as I would like to see them, there is just not enough room as things are right now.