Skip to main content

ViVid Strike!

166 replies [Last post]
TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

So I guess this means that the show doesn't know what it's doing right because if that's the case then I'm disappointed. Wait Nanoha and Fate only get a brief mention and a kind of cameo why would you bring them in this they have nothing to do with this series. Actually Vivio has nothing to do with this series.

Sansker's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1059

ViVid Strike Episode 9…

I am at a loss for words now. I said back in the day that the original ViVid best me, I lost my capacity to even care anymore and as you have notice I avoided making my standard analysis of the episodes of ViVid Strike as of late (Even if all I did was poke it with a stick and laugh at it)

But I stand here today, looking at the screen, feeling the void in my heart. As I feel all joy, creativity and energy leaving me… maybe for good… I look back at my original positive hopes and can only laugh with the bitterness of experience and disappointment.

I honestly said to anyone who ever care to read it and in the most eloquent way I can find to express my confusing and fleeing emotions about this series:

… Fuck you ViVid Strike.

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

Wow dude all I can say is I am so sorry. You went through 9 episodes and you would said f*** you. It must be that bad in episode 9 because I didn't even go through any of it because I made the smart choice and not watch any of vivid strike. I just read these analysis posts and just got a good understanding of the episodes and all I got was a giant roller coaster of confusing plot points, the show did not even know who its main character is, the one who's supposed to be the main character doesn't even have a reason to be the main character, this series flipped between were trying to be serious too what the hell are you doing to we are happy. I feel bad for a good chunk of people who only know the franchise because of vivid strike but at least it gives them a bigger insensitive to watch the rest of the series because this is a mess. Could you at least say what happens and episode 9 because I know it sucked but at least I want like a short description of what happened but if you really really don't want to go back into the circle of hell then I completely understand. Which is why I want to ask do you want to be a part of this mobile community I'm on. I know this is a bad time but I just feel like asking because we're trying to get some new members. So long story short, vivid strike broke you the same way vivid broke me as I only lasted like 1 episode and that's it I literally said f*** you to vivid and never looked back. But you went through 9 episodes of this and you basically say screw this you are a Braver man than I am. Again if you want to you can join this cell phone community I'm on if you want and there is a bright side we still have the third movie to look forward too so that has to be good news.

Sansker's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1059

If you are curious I guess I can give a summary.

So ViVid Episode 9 opens with Rinne sitting in her bet, watching TV with a blanket over her head (Since making her eat ice cream as well would just make it even more funny) while she watches the sports channel. We learn Fuuka won her match against her opponent Who-Gives-A-Crap while Einhard manage to best We-Don’t-Know and We-Don’t-Care and so will face each other in the finals or semi-finals or whatever, for the title or not. Is not clear and honestly I didn’t double check.

Rinne’s parents arrive but decide to leave their daughter alone since they follow the typical parenting that everyone else displays in this series. Instead we have Victor arrive to cheer up Rinne that is so down that she talks about… quitting martial arts for good!

As I debate if we should care we cut to Fuuka and Einhard giving at interview at the gym while Nove drives to the hospital. She meets with Jill who went there to give Vivio and Miura some sweets and apologize for the injuries Rinne cause them. They have a short scene in which Jill wonder if she is a bad coach, which she is, and that the media is saying as much, which they should, but that she is refusing to learn from her mistakes or make any changes. Nove sympathizes. Is then that Victor calls them and tells them the sad news. Now the music does its best to convince me this is a big deal but I am honestly not sure why.

Nove gets back to the gym and tells everyone, meaning: Fuuka, Einhard, Rio, Corona and also Harry and Els who are making a cameo; the sad news about Rinne. Everyone is horrified at the idea that someone just doesn’t want to practice martial arts anymore and the fight between Rinne and Fuuka will not take place (Oh no… why… please Rinne… bah I can’t even pretend I care).

Einhard asks Fuuka if she still wants to fight Rinne, which she say yes I mean… that was kind of the point of all this, right? So Einhard has an idea and they all go to Nove’s office to tall Rinne. Victor answers and puts the camera on Rinne who doesn’t want to talk and says she is sorry but then Einhard offers her this: a chance to the title (Complete with a golden belt that looks like it belongs to Hercule from Dragon Ball) as Under 15 World Champion, if Rinne fights Fuuka and wins then Einhard will accept her challenge and fight her for the belt but they have to fight in two days.

This shocks everyone, especially Nove, since doing this is… eh… bad? I don’t know, they never give any contest or meaning so I honestly do not see what the big deal is. I mean they do say the finals are close but they never say when Einhard and Fuuka are supposed to fight. But obviously they do get it because Rinne agrees and Einhard just says she wants to go their nice training place: Hotel Alpine, Lutecia’s house. They talks about stuff is really not important.

They all go to the Alpine’s household, which is now a hotel I guess, and I honestly screw up here because I assume they were to train and did not notice they were going to have the match right away until I saw Rinne. So I rewind the video and watch as their battle begins. Rinne takes the lead with powerful punches but Fuuka recovers and throws her in to a building.

And so the episode ends with Fuuka demanding that Rinne stand up and fight, that she is going to punch that shitty attitude of hers that looks down on others while giving up at the first time things go bad for her.

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

.....Wow. They really have no idea of what to do anymore. What do I begin:

First: I was already losing mentally and physically because the pacing seems to off on a lot of places like we have to be funny to nonsense about I hate fighting to fight now for reasons. It really feels empty and that nothing is happening at all and that this was a waste of time. Speaking of.....

Second:I was SO bored. The synopsis alone made me yawn and I was screaming "CAN SOMETHING PLOT IMPORTANT HAPPEN GOD!!!!" I mean I know this is slice of life I get that but other anime like this does that but does it way better then this and ViVid. It was horrible as all of the events that happened felt to me like poorly written fanfiction and nothing happened. Also I am questioning who is our MC here as Rinne is way more interesting then Fuuka. That is not saying much but it is something.

Third:Why are they trying so hard with the whole DBZ, Yu yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter and Pokemon thing? It feels really forced when they talk about championships, champions and all of that. That kind of thing is good when an anime is xxx amount of episodes because that is an arc but with this being 12 or 13 episodes, there is no way that should be an arc. Not to mention, I still find that nothing has happened at all so why should I care about these characters even the ViVid cast feels really forced in this series as they are only here to say hi.

Whew in other words, I feel you as this entire spin off(it may have Vivs, Ein and the other characters in but no nothing has really happened in my eyes as nothing feels to be at stake) just feels like a big waste of time. They keep putting in these new characters, throw in stuff that you would find in a generic LN and even worse, a big white screen of nothing but sprinkles of crap to get your attention. Overall I am going back to some fanfiction that widens the franchise, adds some characters you would care about and fixes somethings. This.......I don't fucking know. Thank you for telling me your thoughts and I am really thankful for it.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3783

Episode 10 is out, not a bad episode, the second half was good.

Today TheRon also released the BluRay version of the first Vivid anime if anyone is interested.

Kufokator's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2016
Posts: 16

As in translated? Because I'm not going to lie, if I can get the translated BluRay, or DVD, version of early Nanoha seasons I would be very interested. Also I need to start watching Vivid Strike again, I've been a lazy asshole about my reviews I need to start recapping again.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3783

Sansker's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1059

ViVid Strike! Episode 10 then...

Ok, no more. I will stay only the positives... eh... they show how Fuuka and Rinne meet with each other and what their relationship was before they were separated. Could have shown us this like 10 episodes ago but... NO, bad Sansker, stay positive.

What else? Well... I like it when it was over. And the battle was not that bad, I mean it wasn't the best animation but it did the job...

Yes, I am absolutely jaded by now.

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

Sansker are you okay I know you're trying your damnedest to not go into the dark side of the force but in this case you probably need to. And it is pretty sad that that's like the only three good things you can say about the episode. And I agree from a narrative standpoint it would have been way better if they told us that like 10 episodes ago instead of right now when the show is about to be over. So I can definitely understand that you feel jaded. I have a question after going through 10 episodes do you feel like you learned anything or gained anything?

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3783

Episode 11 is out, I'm not sure how to feel about it, I think the end of the fight was a bit unsatisfactory. Overall the fights and the plot hasn't been very interesting, I hope they can bring good closure to the Rinne/Fuuka relationship next episode.

Sansker's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1059

ViVid Strike! Episode 11: “So they fight and they fight and they fight…”

Fuuka wins. And I spoil that without any remorse whatsoever.

Not much to it really. Passable action, I did like they finally put some magic punches here. But thanks to some commentary by Sieg I am not longer sure what these magic martial arts are anymore. Aside from that the abuse of flashbacks that have nothing to do with anything and that we could have seen before, the change of focus from Fuuka facing against opposition to Rinne and then back again… I am not who is the heroine of this thing anymore.

I am not looking forward to how they will bored us to death next time. I do hope we get the fight between Einhard and Fuuka just to keep the spirit of ViVid with fight that have no stakes or drama, as Vivio said in this episode: those are fun!

This entire show have been… underwhelming to say the least. But I will give my honest opinion when it’s over. The thing ends next week, right?

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

Wait a minute they fight and fight and fight that reminds me of an itchy and scratchy episode on the Simpsons. Okay I think ViVid Strike would be infinitely better if it was that. So they're doing the same thing they did in season 3 which is we don't know who our main character is...... I really do hope this is all over next week because I'm sticking with you through this to the end even though I haven't watched the entire thing because I do not want to go through another vivid. Aslo apparently Vivio never watched any shouen anime before because I can safely say this right now if Vegeta was watching these fights he be like god this is so boring.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3783

The final episode is out! I think it was a pretty good conclusion to the series, I liked it a lot more than expected, I enjoyed it. Overall Vivid Strike wasn't particularly good or particularly "Nanoha", but it had a few good episodes and moments.

After watching this I think Fuuka and Rinne make a very cute couple, and this last episode was very yuri too. I hope we get to some more of these girls, if Vivio and Einhart are not careful the new girls will marry before them.

ohys-raws_vivid_strike_-_12_end_bs11_1280x720_x264_aac.mp4_snapshot_14.51_2016.12.17_16.50.25.jpg ohys-raws_vivid_strike_-_12_end_bs11_1280x720_x264_aac.mp4_snapshot_15.24_2016.12.17_17.00.26.jpg ohys-raws_vivid_strike_-_12_end_bs11_1280x720_x264_aac.mp4_snapshot_15.27_2016.12.17_17.01.47.jpg

Lyriell's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/24/2013
Posts: 46

Are you kidding me? We have 3 main seasons / 2 movies of Nanoha with no confession but a million teasing scenes, yet these nobodies get one in their first season? Ugh I'm at a loss for words.

They better step up their game in reflection or I'm gonna be majorly pissed >.>

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3783

I don't know if we can call anything from this episode a direct confession, it was very cute but if you consider that a confession the scene at the end of the original Nanoha was an engagement, and that's not counting everything else this couple has gone through after that. In Vivid Nanoha and Fate are a married couple with an adopted daughter and planing to have a little girl of their own in a few years, there isn't much more they can do to step up their game I think.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

A. wrote:
I don't know if we can call anything from this episode a direct confession, it was very cute but if you consider that a confession the scene at the end of the original Nanoha was an engagement, and that's not counting everything else this couple has gone through after that. In Vivid Nanoha and Fate are a married couple with an adopted daughter and planing to have a little girl of their own in a few years, there isn't much more they can do to step up their game I think.

Eh? I know that considering the name of the site it's probably populated by NanoFate shippers, but when did they state in Vivid that they are married?!? Oh I know that the writer said their relationship was romantic, but as far as Vivid was concerned they might as well be platonic life partners or something. Also where did the part that they are planning to have another little girl come from?!?
Also taking that exchange of ribbons to be engagement is a bit too much. They were kids back then so it's a bit too soon for engagement. Exchanging ribbons would work also perfectly well as an act between friends so they remember each other by them.

But here Rinne flat out states that she loves Fuka with Fuka blushing. Now again it could be her saying that she loves her as a friend platonically, but then again the splash screen is also a bit obvious.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3783

4th Dimension wrote:
but when did they state in Vivid that they are married?

In the Vivid manga alone? It's implied when Fate got promoted from godmother to guardian of Vivio. I think the last time people went off topic with that was here: http://nanofate.us/forum/3rd-nanoha-movie?page=2
About Nanoha and Fate getting a little girl of their own, is has been mentioned outside the main series/manga, in magazines such as this, and there are plans for the future child of Vivio and Ein too.
It would be fun if both their children are close in age and can participate together in a future manga or series.

4th Dimension wrote:
Oh I know that the writer said their relationship was romantic, but as far as Vivid was concerned they might as well be platonic life partners or something.

By that point they're a family, Nanoha and Fate have been in a romantic relationship for years and are married, your scenario would require to change many things about the characters, and the series will lose one of the things it's most known for.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

Oh I do not doubt the creators are going for them being romantically involved, I'm just saying we have had no direct confirmation of it in the published content either of manga, anime or sound stage variety.

TO be fair while I have read Vivid, I do not remember anyone making any remarks that her legal standing with Vivio was improved. Again her legal standing kind of fluctuates depending on the medium. I distinctly remember one medium where Vivio referred to her as aunt (oba) Fate.

Also doesn't Fate still have her own apartment? I could have sworn she had one. BUt oh well I might be wrong.

As for Fate/Nanoha and Ein/Vivio kids ehhhh. That is waaaaaayyyyy too far into future and likely we will never see it considering that the franchise is likely to die if they continue missing the goals like they have last couple of times.
Also I would find it weird for them to be of the same age especially since one would be the aunt to another.

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

Wow 4th, that is how I feel and I agree. We never did had any big confirmation about that at any point in the series I'm just going to shut up now.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3783

I shouldn't be promoting even more off topic instead of moderating this forum, but I think I'll get this out of the way, maybe there is someone else reading that hasn't been around for a long time and shares any of these doubts.

4th Dimension wrote:
Oh I do not doubt the creators are going for them being romantically involved, I'm just saying we have had no direct confirmation of it.

There aren't many direct things concerning romance in Nanoha, their marriage was confirmed through outside sources and in canon indirectly through things like Fate and Nanoha changing their status to Vivio's guardians, which they had to be married to do.

4th Dimension wrote:
Again her legal standing kind of fluctuates depending on the medium. I distinctly remember one medium where Vivio referred to her as aunt (oba) Fate.

Starting with Vivid both Nanoha and Fate are Vivio's guardians, this doesn't fluctuate, I it was in the first chapter. I was listening to The Movie 1st - Commentary that just got released as subtitled for the movie (link here) and noticed that it's also mentioned there, and probably in many other places that I have forgotten. Also Vivio has never called Fate "oba" in anything canon, I'm sure I would remember that if that happened, and people would have used that fact to troll for certain.

4th Dimension wrote:
Also doesn't Fate still have her own apartment? I could have sworn she had one. BUt oh well I might be wrong.

Well, you just need to read Vivid for that, there is no better way to answer that question :) But if you're still reading, Nanoha, Fate and Vivio have the same registered address, the Takamachi residence. I remember that years ago someone from AnimeSuki tried to start a rumor about Fate moving away from Nanoha and Vivio because they misinterpreted one of the most yuri sound stages (the Movie 1st one, the one where Nanoha, Fate and Vivio got referred as the Takamachi Family for the first time in canon), regardless of we getting shown Fate coming back home from work to Nanoha and Vivio in the same sound stage, just in another track. And then we got Vivid and I thought everyone forgot about that small incident.

4th Dimension wrote:
As for Fate/Nanoha and Ein/Vivio kids ehhhh. That is waaaaaayyyyy too far into future and likely we will never see it considering that the franchise is likely to die if they continue missing the goals like they have last couple of times.

I have to agree with this, but maybe the third movie does well, and I'm not sure how Vivid Strike is doing, probably well enough.

4th Dimension wrote:
Also I would find it weird for them to be of the same age especially since one would be the aunt to another.

I have an aunt and an uncle that are younger than me! It was fun when they were younger.

TheEmeraldMage wrote:
Wow 4th, that is how I feel and I agree. We never did had any big confirmation about that at any point in the series I'm just going to shut up now.

I think you should try to not spread misinformation, or to not state your opinions as facts if you don't mean it, it can lead to misunderstandings. Anyways, their marriage was confirmed with Vivid as stated in this thread and a few others, that's not what is in debate and I think we don't need to repeat the same lines of dialog every 1 or 2 years (regarding this and other topics) because some new users don't want to check old threads. I think making off topic in a Vivid Strike! thread (which is, of all things, the only "Nanoha" series that doesn't have Nanoha or Fate) should be the last thing to do, no idea how we got to this, probably my fault for not making a big sticky in the front page with NanoFate forum or the Vivid thread.

So please if you have any other question regarding Vivid please use the Vivid thread or any other thread that fits the subject, I think Vivid Strike! is the thread that has the least to do with "when did Nanoha and Fate got married and move together".

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

A. wrote:
I shouldn't be promoting even more off topic instead of moderating this forum, but I think I'll get this out of the way, maybe there is someone else reading that hasn't been around for a long time and shares any of these doubts.

Why not simply bundle all the offtoppic replies that were made concenring that and split them off to another thread. You should be able to do that, or does the moderating tools not allow that? Normal forums do, but I don't know about this one since it seems that nanofate is running on something a bit homebrew.

But okay I'll start a new thread simply to pish a couple final observations on my part. IF you could push these posts there too it would be swell.

A.
A.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 08/14/2009
Posts: 3783

Moving posts isn't an option in this CMS, it's pretty old and I can't easily update it. Since the search function is disabled what I should do is keep track of where recurrent topics are being posted so when people posts the same thing again after 6, 4 or 2 years we can just post the links instead of having to reply the same questions, so again I encourage people to check old threads, I mean the same thing was asked this same month.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

I suspected as much.

Expecting people to read ALL the old toppics is a bit of a strech especially since as you say search is not available (unless one uses the old Google site:nanofate.us trick, IF Google has indexed the info you want), but I have put my oppinions that I can back with proof into a new thread: http://nanofate.us/forum/nanoha-fate-and-vivio-official-relationship-status

I would welcome you providing the counterargument, so you have a separate thread to refer people to and not bunch of scattered arguments.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

I did not have as good a time with this episode. Probably because I was allready pissed off by the rest of the season so I was looking to pick a fight. And it allready managed to trip me right at the start.

But there are nice things in it. I like Rinne when she is not being a ragemonster. A glimpse of Sig vs Ein was nice. But there is quite a lot else that is not nice in my opinion.

Since I'm an ass that hates the show I decided to bring you what was happening in my head while watching this:

Spoiler:

00:49: Time to something to complain about 49 seconds. Ughhh. Hura you are NOT a cat. You are a device, basically a magical computer. YOU DON'T SLEEP!!

00:59 Ix: Fuka let me fixate you with my COLD dead LIFELESS eyes.

01:39 Croz, do NOT mention the fact that your private HOTEL has a "professional" safety system yet a cup for U-15 DOES NOT HAVE IT!

01:51 Ein vs. Sig? Please let me watch! Please let me watch! Please let me watch!
01:55 NOOOOOOOO!!!

02:17 AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!! The red headed satan is in the room. Somebody take her down. Chantez use one of those boob crosses of yours that you carry for no reason!

03:09 On one hand you are leaving Rinne with miniQuatro, on the other hand you are going where Ein is training and that could be fun. Aghhhh, you have successfully stuck my complaints engine! Wait no they have not.

03:19 Good, good, at least she has enough of a soul to try to apologize....

03:37 NOOOOOOOO NO Fate don't go back to Prescia. I mean Rinne don't go back to mechaHitler, I mean fuc**** Jill.

04:17 No, they were not fun. This is probably related to Stockholm syndrome. You have no reference to judge her training so for you it's excellent.

04:47 No no no NOOOO NO! That is NOT normal, and you are not making an "endearing" moment out of this. She is TERRIBLE at her job, and should not be continuing training especially not by using the same terrible technique. It is not normal to puke after every training. Somebody call Nanoha or Jill will trash Rinne's body by the time she gets into U-18.

05:05 Signes of exchanges of heavy blows in the distance... Could it be?

05:27 Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. Niiiiiceeee. Still not as good as anything from first three seasons but finally something that looks to be using magic.

05:47 Huh. Since when is Ein causing trouble to Sig. I guess it happened in those issues that are yet to be translated. Get to it typesetters *cracks whip*

06:43 Hary, communication between Rinne and Jill is the LEAST of their problems.

07:30 Fuka this is called being ditched. You were fun until now but now that you are a threat, off you go back to gym to clean it. Even Chantez is ditching you. And if Chantez is going to be training with Ein, expect shenanigans in the match.

07:37 Yeah you are not part of their ancient arts and techniques club so of you go. The gopher position has been filled by Els already.
WAIT! We are going away! No Ein take me with you, I anticipate bullshit and I would rather stay here NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

08:05 Bet they did not want to bay Megane's voice actress is the reason she can be seen but not heard.

08:21 Really splash screen. Aren't you jumping the gun a bit?

09:10 Okay confession time, I actually like Rinne when she is acting like herself and not an emotionless log. Yes call me being weak for fluffiness.

09:57 Soooo the bird is there to symbolize.... you showing off that you can actually animate a bird? And that you can pad time doing it?

10:05 Streamed?!? * deep internal claxons blaring *

10:22 Eh?
10:26 What? Since when do they care for you?
10:38 Massage girl? ... Oh it's not her, it's ... Carrie? ... no ... no No NO NO NO don't tell me
10:53 NO you don’t' get to pave over shittiness this way. You don't get to poop all over somebody's dreams and then to FIX it by getting the person who got pooped on basically say it's fine.

11:06 Fate Avernecius you shithead what are you doing here?!?

11:21 Ohhh so the breakup girl. Okay ok.... no no no no

11:30 NO you don't solve the situation by getting the "victim" (well not really she was a competitor) to say she is sorry because it's HER fault that Fuka and Rinne broke up. NO! I thought you were better than that 7 Arts.
Also either this girl is being chased by police and that is the reason for no background OR you really were animating this on a shoestring budget. Which would explain the lack of magic in the rest of the show.

11:43 wait did you get somebody professional to cut this for you? That is going waaay out of your way to apologize to a person who broke you physically and mentally.

12:01 HEAVY HANDED METHAPHOR INCOMING. AVERT YOUR EYES YOU OF WEAKER DISPOSSITION.
Suuure this is akin to saying "I am sorry you had to rape me and it hurt so much mentally and physically, but it made me realize that I really like sex". WHAT?

12:30 STUPIDLY GENEROUS!

12:46 "He said some things but we won't be showing you that because we are not paying for another guy's voice because guys are smelly. Also animating him sould stain our pure sketchpads meant only for purest of Yuri"

13:02 AND were watching their daughter get meat tenderized. And nobody thought to ask THEM should you continue at some points.

14:45 You really want to make them "more than friends" don't you. AT ANY COST.

15:00 It's been a year since that time you broke up? Huh. I do not know how to feel about that. I keep thinking that is waaaayyyy too short a timeframe but it could also be correct.

15:11 Huh they really are whole hog going with the whole Ein is seemingly stronger than Sig.

15:20 YAYYYYY SPACESHIP

15:22 NOOO more baiting the shippers.

15:36 Which means it's perfect time Fuka for you to get cracking cleaning the whole place. Now is your chance to really scrub all those places that are almost constantly in use.

15:45 NO cleaning for you. Shame.

16:23 Well she does like to collect their defeat cherries. She takes after her mama with that.

16:53 Don't tell me you are going to get her to ACTUALLY win? That would be bullshit. That would break something you actually did well in VIVID.

17:20 Oh we are soooooo surprised by that.
17:23 Nove is also surprised. She shows her surprise through grins, she is weird like that.

17:28 Didn't you say your career was crap. Where the fuck did you then get all those medals?!?! Or did nobody tell the artists you are crap.

17:55 You you you are aware what you are saying is not exactly sane and normal, and might as well be repurposed as a villain speech. "I just wanted to show the world the true meaning of PAIN. PAIN like I felt that one time. But now since I was sad once EVERYONE must be sad. This is why I have decided to steal CHRISTMASS! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA"

18:09 Is it coming is it coming. Are we actually going to mention who beat you?
18:43 We didn't go there. I did not like her speech but on rewatching it, it does make sense so I can not blame it.

19:09 Padding. Peh, as if you could actually break Corona.

19:21 Interesting place on Jill to cut to. You were expecting her to be wearing something revealing weren’t you?

20:00 Checks time, the episode is almost over and just now they cut to the final match. You are going to blueball as aren't you?

20:51 I don't think you could make Fuka more of an underdog. On one side U-15 champion + her training/sparing partners who are all U-18 elites, on the other side some orphan who started training couple months ago and her U-15 teammates.

20:53 Don't they have their own gym's tracksuits.

20:57 I really want to punch that narrator. Is privacy a foreign concept for you?

21:31 Fortunately fists are an acceptable substitute in this universe.

22:11 Yup as expected cut before the fun starts

-- CREDITS-- *pointless beating of a dea horse incoming*

22:15 And now the collection you have all been waiting for "People being hit by fists"

22:21 and legs let's not forget legs

22:28 And being choked

22:40 and getting their chest disintegrated

23:37 Considering Fuka is a BIT worse for the wear I'm guessing Ein won. Good.

23:46 As usual the singer is incomprehensible.

Well to be fair I wrote this while watching it for the second time so some of this was not present in my mind during the initial viewing but only got added later when I re-watched the episode to get times.

Sansker's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1059

And so it ends ViVid Strike! Not with a bang but rather with a big “Meh…” Now that I have seen the entire thing and have some time to reflect on it I can say without a doubt: is not as bad as ViVid but is still quite bad.

I made no secret I didn’t like this show so do allow me to stay some positives: the concept alone is worth a watch and the setting was prime to more develop and world building, so the core idea was nice. When taken individually and out of context some of the episodes are actually not that bad, like episodes 1 and 3… even episode 11. And when is all said and done I do think the show is overall harmless.

That being said is not good. The plot is all over the place in what is trying to do or follow, at times I feel we are following the story of Fuuka and her struggles to overcome and recover her best friend Rinne… then we change to Rinne’s story to get over her horrible past by punching the living crap out of other people. The characters also shift from focus to archetype to structure and it was never kept consistent. Not just the two main characters but also the side ones like Nove or Jill.

Again too many characters, to the point that when Ixpellia and Fabia walk with Fuuka and they talk so friendly I had to pause and wonder if they ever were properly introduce to each other. I mean Fuuka did meet Fabia but not Ixpellia I think, mind sound like a minor complain (and it is) but small things pile up. The show just didn’t seem to grasp the type of tale it was going to and with a weak cast the entire thing just collapse in to itself.

There are moments when the story tries to talk me in to thinking what I am seeing is amazing or engaging but they fail to make the proper build up, so we end with weak pay off. And this show shares the same issue with ViVid and even StrikerS: telling me stuff and never reflecting it whiting the narrative. We are told Vivio is weak, but she is quite strong; we are told Jill had an injury that force her to quit, but we see she is still quite powerful and could have continue as an adult fighter; they tell us Einhard betting her belt in a match is a big deal, but she does it anyway and nobody seem to care or had any consequences whatsoever… etc.

The story try to avoid clichés but for no other reason that it didn’t want to put the old characters from ViVid to the sides lines, where they actually belong in this tale, and so the show comes across as weird. It does try to nicely “fix” all the issues Rinne had after the match in such a ridiculous fashion that it’s unintentionally funny. And since everything else is so happy going those few moments when they are not come out as not belonging to the same context.

To give an example it would be like in a Barney episode one of the kids shows up sad because his abusive dad got drunk and hit his mother. Not outside the realm of possibilities but clearly out of the usual stuff for that purple dinasour to handle.

In short: ViVid Strike is a boring, poorly made and terribly executed show that didn’t manage to resonate with me at all. The characters feel flat, boring, inconsistent or all of the previous things at once. The story just pads itself out from episode to episode. And when you come down to it the show clearly takes itself way more serious than it should. So if you like it, more power to you, but I am putting this one in the garbage category.

TheEmeraldMage's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/07/2016
Posts: 65

So it's over we reach Nirvana we reached the promised land it's over it's finally over all my god. So long story short this entire season was a giant waste of time I am not surprised I mean strikers did this vivid did this Force this and now this. But hey at least it's over we can just ignore this and wait until the 3rd movie comes out next year so to vivid strike I'll say this: at least you got new people into the franchise maybe now it'll actually increase they're wanting to watch the original two seasons other than that is just the same level of teasing as before or something like that I don't even know anymore. You know just once I want these characters to go into a award instead of saying of all these cool stories that there was a war but none of our characters ever go to war. I really really really blame force for this because honestly if these characters route a war we actually get some new differences in the franchise instead of let's rehash and repeat the same thing from season 1 not once but twice now. Well at least it's finally over and now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go back to watch season 1 and two and then the two movies and then work on my fanfiction because oh boy I am so happy that this is done oh and wait for the third movie. I salute you Sansker.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

TheEmeraldMage wrote:
So it's over we reach Nirvana we reached the promised land it's over it's finally over all my god. So long story short this entire season was a giant waste of time I am not surprised I mean strikers did this vivid did this Force this and now this. But hey at least it's over we can just ignore this and wait until the 3rd movie comes out next year so to vivid strike I'll say this: at least you got new people into the franchise maybe now it'll actually increase they're wanting to watch the original two seasons other than that is just the same level of teasing as before or something like that I don't even know anymore. You know just once I want these characters to go into a award instead of saying of all these cool stories that there was a war but none of our characters ever go to war. I really really really blame force for this because honestly if these characters route a war we actually get some new differences in the franchise instead of let's rehash and repeat the same thing from season 1 not once but twice now. Well at least it's finally over and now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go back to watch season 1 and two and then the two movies and then work on my fanfiction because oh boy I am so happy that this is done oh and wait for the third movie. I salute you Sansker.

I wouldn't lump StrikerS with this, although I'm saying this as somebody relatively new to the franchise who did not live through what to fans who lived through the original airing of StrikerS seemed the end of the world.
StrikeS was a grand experiment an attempt to do worldbuilding and build a world and rules where new stories could be set. It did largely flop on it's face because 7 Arts simply did not have the skill to pull such a feat off. I am more and more convinced that they accidentally stumbled into Original Season and As.
But while it did flop it did put into place the cornerstones of the setting and how in general things work on Midchilda. It added detail to the previously under explained military magitech side of things, which is something I LOVE about the series BTW.
Some of it's characters that it indroduced were also likeable and interesting at least to me. I liked Teana and Subaru. I liked the grayness and slide unto darkness of Regius and Zest. I was completely unimpressed by NUmbers, Jail, Lutecia and Fate's kids though.
And finally at least to me it managed to entertain me and it did not break too many rules previously established by the lore.

Vivid took a large step back in scope, but it too did some new things. It established the magical combat sport side of things as stupid and fanservicey it was. It also tried, with the accent on tried to flesh out the Ancient Belka side of things, which also ended up with stupid artistic decisions, like the fact that despite Belkans using "dangerous mass weapons" their armies were still just bunch of dudes in armor with swords clobbering each other. Oh it also failed at character building of many characters, pacing etc. But it was also a fun mess on the rare ocasions when they were not wasting time on fanservice but did combat. Less fun since it was ground combat but still flashy. So entertaining at moments, manga at least, but boneheadedly stupid and headache inducing at others.

Force suffered from similar problems. ON one hand it gave us more adventures from our familiar cast of characters, but on the other it tried to introduce new ones and failed monumentally. Touma is basically Fuka v0.3, nominal protagonist with as much agency and character as any other side character. It also tried to introduce new complicated/conflicted antagonists but they failed ad that too, just as they did with Numbers, simply because giving them lulzy personalities does not make mass murdering psychos endearing.
I lost myself with characters, but the big thing Force tried to do which would have been entertaining and interesting to introduce to Nanohaverse was to give us a more adult story where a happy ending and using only stun settings might not be possible. This would force our characters to for the first time face the possibility that they might have to kill people to protect their world.
And again couple of times the Aces were allowed to cut loose and were not smacked down by writers handing the victory to the enemy through writer fiat, it was fun and also over the course of the run it showed the old crew adapting to the changes in the threat.

Strike on the other side did NOTHING new. It was a side story with no impact at the continuity other than adding two new characters. They even invented a wholly new championship bracket just so they could isolate the elites, make Ein the champion and make it reasonable for a newcomer to be able to challenge the champion. This way anything that happened in U-15 would have no impact on the ranking in U-18. Oh and the new "MC" is a bland copy of Einhart's fighting style with a vaguely defined power of being able to basically absorb fighting tehniques quickly. Here AGAIN Rinne has Fuka beat. Rinne has a bit bland mighty glacier thing going on but at least it's hers.
Frankly StrikerS Sound Stage X had more impact, that thing at least furthered and set up the whole return of Belkan things/Rulers that Vivid was supposed to deal with. And it was reasonably fun for a Sound Stage.
As I said this doesn't do much that is new. The one thing it does is to try to Forcefy a Vivid story which it does to a degree (again it's Rinne that carries the most of it by introducing her background that subverts the Nanoha tropes and adding violence) but in general the whole thing fell flat on it's face.
Frankly you could retell the entire season in like half or less episodes. Couple to show Fuka training, couple to show what is happening in Rinne's head and then 10 and 11 to show them beating the shit out of each other and then cue epilogue.
And finally the fightscenes were nowhere as entertaining as needed. The only interesting fight was Rinne vs Vivio because it pit two completely asymmetrical fighting styles and it had some vividness to it.
Rinne vs Fuka was entertaining for a while but it basically devolved to those two taking turns at flying into walls and cars.

TLDR:
StrikerS did worldbuilding but failed tehnically. Vivid tried to flesh out martial arts fighting and Belka stuff but failed at pacing and technical aspect. Force tried to do darker Nanoha stores but failed at introducing antagonists. Strike did ... it wasted 12 episodes what could have been done in 5, that is what it did.

4th Dimension's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/15/2016
Posts: 168

My opinion is kind of similar. It does have some interesting ideas, but it fails at execution. This is similar to my opinion of Force.

I would rate it below Vivid, at least below Vivid manga since that at least went somewhere while the Anime version simply stops halfway through an arc, since Vivid AT LEAST gave me interesting to look at fights (still a lot weaker than magical dogfights that I really liked from other seasons) and taken as a whole Einhart's story was not bad, even though there was LOADS of padding and it was filled to brim with the stupid ugly fanservice.

The middle part of Strike in some ways is Vivid as brought to you by the team/ideas that brought you Force.

While it had interesting ideas and the antagonist is intellectually interesting character (I subjectively did not like her) they failed at pretty much everything else. They failed to properly instill sympathy for Rinne, they obviously expected me to feel. Sure her background is rough, but that did not excuse her behavior at the beginning. They should have used those flashbacks they showed during 11 much earlier to see WHY she is such a rage monster. This was also NOT helped by not using the protection systems during the tournament for U-15 athletes.

They made the MC the least interesting character that was then NOT given time to show why we should cheer for her. The MC seems to be almost an afterthought especially considering her fight style is basically a complete copy of Ein. It used the tournament as the medium which prevented interaction between the protagonist and antagonist. Think how weaker Original season would have been had Fate and Nanoha spent 9 episodes beating up Jewled seeds without meeting, only to suddenly resolve everything in one fight during finale. This all made Fuka superfluous in her own show.
The tournament system simply does not fit the format unless you only focus on the protagonist and antagonist because both of them need their moments in limelight. But Fuka did not get it here.

As for lore and looks department, on one hand it eliminated much of the stupid fan service of Vivid and they made even transformation sequences to be marginally tasteful (except then they magnified all breasts by 2x and added jiggle physics *groan*) but on the other they appeared almost ashamed of the fact that these are magic users, so all fights boiled down to to me boring fistfight kickboxing matches. Again why is a tournament specifically meant for U-15 athletes NOT using any protection system is beyond me. Oh I know why it's not doing that meta wise, they wanted to show of gore and shock us with injuries to protagonists of Vivid, but not lore vise. Giving EVERYONE and their aunt the ability to transform into adult form was boneheaded too.

I have a feeling looking back now that their expected audiences were Vivid crowd and bringing in new viewers. They tried to entice the former by using the cast from Vivid and using the tournament format, which did not fit the plot. They tried entice the later by limiting the cast, introducing a new character and limiting magic so that newcomers don't feel confused, which did not prevent some from complaining how "unrealistic" it is to heal some of the injuries were. Of course by eliminating the thing many liked about the original (showy fights that relied on some rules) they failed the fans AND by having a bad story they failed both sides.

I am increasingly of the opinion Strike could have been made to work if Rinne was made the PoV main character. Get into her head from the start and pit her against Nakajimas. That way they could have kept the interesting part in focus while pleasing Vivid crowd by including Vivid characters.

Sansker's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2011
Posts: 1059

I think we can safely say we all learn something thanks to this show.

On reflection it didn't anger me as much as ViVid once did, but then again I am not that work over it that much anymore.

Maybe we should see the important questions: what could they have done better?